August 1, 2011

Review: Kat Von D's High Voltage Primer- Skin (vs Urban Decay's Primer Potion)

Let me start this off by saying that I am a big fan of Urban Decay's Primer Potion (original), but I hate that they've changed the packaging to a squeeze tube.  I purchased the "Makeup Artist sized" tube of it when it first came out, and upon first use, the crimped end of the tube split open and the product came out!  It took a lot of finagling for the product to dispense out of the tip, but sometimes it still comes out of the back end.  More recently, I went to unscrew the cap from the tip, and it completely came off the packaging!  Before the tip broke off, I went to Urban Decay's customer service to try to get to the bottom of this.  Did I have faulty packaging? Was this normal?  But my questions fell on deaf ears (or eyes, because i sent them an email) and they never responded.

With that said, I was itching to try the Kat Von D High Voltage Eye Primer.  The price wasn't terrible ($18), I was never incredibly let down by anything in the brand before, and, most importantly, the packaging was practical.  So, how did the actual product hold up to UDPP?  Read on!

  • PIGMENTATION: "Skin" is pigmented enough to act as a concealer for my fair coloring. Urban Decay's "Original" Primer Potion is completely translucent, so i still have to do concealer with it. (Urban Decay makes a primer potion called Eden that's supposed to be a matte, flesh toned color that may compare to the pigmentation of Skin, but I have never tried it)
  • HOW IT REACTS TO EYE SHADOW APPLICATION: Skin is a stickier base, so I noticed that a lot more eye shadow stuck on to it- including glitter! UDPP dries really fast, so if I'm using a glittery shadow, the glitter doesn't really show up.  I definitely feel like the KvD eye primer made shadows live up to their fullest potential.
  • CREASE PREVENTION: Sadly, UDPP wins this category ten million-fold.  When I used the KvD eye primer, my shadows started creasing within two hours, and by the end of my 8 hour work day, my eyeshadow was pretty much gone. When i use UDPP, my eyeshadow lasts literally 10 or more hours before it starts to crease.  I have oily skin, so there's a good chance this has something to do with how the KvD primer performed on me.
All in all, I think I'm going to return the Kat Von D Eye Primer back to Sephora.  I really wanted to like it, and tried all different things to get it to last (outside of layering it over my Urban Decay Primer Potion, because i feel like that's silly), but it's just not cutting the mustard.  It may work better on someone without oily lids!

If you're interested in trying it out yourself it's available at Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Please check back (or subscribe!) for replies!