February 14, 2011

Review: Kat Von D Truth Palette

Hi!

Today I'm going to *finally* review the latest palette offering from Kat Von D, "Truth." With the exception of the purpley-plum shadow, most of the palette consists of spring-appropriate pastels. Honestly, not really what I was expecting, but sometimes surprises are good, right?



All the colors were swatched over Urban Decay's Primer Potion.

L-R:


Sugar Skull pale pastel yellow shimmer(this appeared in last spring's Memento Mori palette)

Long Distance lime green shimmer with gold micro glitter

Snake Eyes apple green with gold pearl


Finland (cream) shimmery teal blue









L-R:
Prague dark plummy purple with reddish plum micro shimmer

Galeano (repeat from the Beethoven palette) shimmery warm-toned lavender

Rehab Ultra shimmery pale taupe

Sister Matte pinky-peach (I'm super fair, so it barely showed up on me)






I'm really on the fence about this palette. There are some really lovely colors (Long Distance, Prague, and Finland are my favorites), but there is one I don't quite know what to do with (Sister- i'm looking at you!). Generally the textures in these shadows aren't as good as previous KvD palettes. They're all REALLY powdery, which in turn causes a lot of fall out (you can even see it in the swatch of Prague!). I've also had problems with blending- especially with Rehab. It pretty much disappears/gets patchy if you try to work with it too much. For now, I would say to skip this, unless you are a complete makeup master. With all this said, I'm clinging to hope I can make these shadows work. They swatched well, but are a bit wonky in practice. Honestly I've only had the time/patience to practice a few looks so I'm going to keep working with these and try to figure out these bad boys. If my feelings change, I'll post a follow up review and beg for KvD's forgiveness haha!

Don't take my word for it-- you can purchase it at Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Please check back (or subscribe!) for replies!