December 10, 2011

Sugarpill haul!


Sugarpill is a brand I've been wanting to try forever, so when the site was having a Black Friday sale, I couldn't pass it up! Since I'm on a budget, only two shadows ended up in my order: Buttercupcake, which is described as "the brightest bright matte yellow with awesome opaque coverage"; and Starling, which is described as "vibrant metallic turquoise with intense sheen."


Buttercupcake is one of Sugarpill's nine pressed eyeshadows, and truthfully I had been lusting after it for quite some time.  Thankfully, I am not disappointed in any way! First of all, the packaging is awesome.  It feels really sturdy and looks high-quality.  Personally, I think the packaging is on-par with the quality of higher-end brands.


  As for the shadow itself, it applied really smoothly, and the pigment in it is pretty intense. The swatch you see below (as with all of my swatches, unless stated otherwise) is without any sort of base.
Buttercupcake- natural light

Buttercupcake- indoor lighting

Starling is one of the eighteen (and growing!) Chromalust loose eyeshadows.  The packaging was smaller than what I had expected since I'm used to the KvD pigment containers. However, there is a full .5g of product in the container so it's just wider than it is tall. There isn't a sifter inside the container, which is a tiny bummer for me because I'm very accident-prone and always end up knocking everything everywhere. I guess I'm just going to have to glue this down somewhere!


The color of this shadow is gorgeous-- a metallic medium blue with a teal sparkle. I had ordered Starling for two reasons: 1. the color combo on the eyes of the girl in the Sugarpill illustration was awesome 2. I thought I didn't have anything quite like this in my collection and when I ordered it, I wasn't at home to check. Unfortunately I was wrong. It's pretty much a dupe for KvD's Bukowski shadow from the Angeles palette (or vice versa-- I think Starling came out first). The differences are that Starling has a sparkly, more metallic finish and has much better pigmentation.
Starling- taken in sunlight  L: swatched dry R: swatched wet

Starling- taken in indoor lighting L: Swatched dry R: Swatched  wet)

In my order, I recieved a sample of a loose shadow, Goldilux, which was awesome because I had been on the fence about buying it!
Goldilux is a metallic gold with gold glitter. The pigmentation is amazing, and the glitter actually stuck to my arm when I swatched it!  If you've read any of my reviews of KvD eyeshadows that involve glitter, you can imagine how impressed I was with this! I was on the fence about buying this because I felt I had enough gold shadows. Um, apparently not:
Goldilux, taken with indoor lighting
Swatching is believing!

I've seen a few Sugarpill reviews saying that it's "expensive" which now boggles my mind. Given the overall high quality of the products, I'd say $12 a pop (both the pressed  and loose shadows are this price) is pretty amazing. Honestly, I wouldn't bat an eye if these were $18-$20 a pop because the quality is just that spectacular.  This definitely will not be my last purchase from the brand!

You don't have to take my word for it.  Check Sugarpill out for yourself at Sugarpillsop.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Please check back (or subscribe!) for replies!