November 28, 2011

Review: Kat von D True Romance palette --Saint


Kat Von D's Saint palette is the first palette of all neutral shadows from her line.  Like all of her palettes, it comes with the standard eight shadows, and like the other new palettes that came out this fall, it comes with an eyeliner and a sample of the High Voltage Eye Primer.

I hesitated to pick this up when it came out in September because I thought it would be too similar to Urban Decay's Naked palette and/or some of the pigments I have from the brand (namely Rapture, a metallic peach with a golden shimmer). The only color that proved to be similar enough to something I already have is luckily something I really love. Also, I never really look at the weights of shadows, but the eight shadows in the Saint Palette are 1.4g a piece, vs Urban Decay's 1.3g. Sure, this has 8 shadows vs the Naked Palette's 12, but this costs $13 less. Even though the colors in this aren't really like those in the Naked palette, if that $48 price tag hurts your wallet, this may quell your hunger for a neutral palette.


L-R: Heavens, Enjoy the Silence, <3, Downtown

Heavens: Frosted cream. This came out slightly sheer, but I LOVE this as a highlight color, so I'm not mad.
Enjoy the Silence: Frosted pale pinkish champagne
<3: Matte pastel pink with multicolored glitter. As you can see in the swatch, the glitter didn't stick at all!
Downtown: Metallic bronze-y peach (previously appeared in the Ludwig palette)

L-R: Sunny, Pray for Me, Bookworm, Caravaggio


Sunny: Metallic dirty gold. This is very similar to Urban Decay's Half Baked, which leans more yellow.
Pray for Me: Warm brown with dirty gold shimmer. I was a bit disappointed with how sheer this was
Bookworm: Matte brown with gold sparkle. I thought this was similar to Urban Decay's Darkhorse, but this has more of a red tone and doesn't have a metallic finish.
Caravaggio: Greyed matte brown


Puro Amor eyeliner: Deep matte black. I don't know if it's me, but I feel like this is less black than the eyeliner that came with my Sinner palette.

PACKAGING: While the metal case looks so much more elegant than the rubberized plastic packaging of the prior palettes, I'm not a fan of how the mirror doesn't stay up when the palette is open.  I was also concerned about the shadows breaking more easily because something about this packaging seems less sturdy, but I've been taking this everywhere with me, and so far so good!
PRICE: $35 for 8 shadows + eyeliner.

You don't have to take my word for it, the Saint palette is available now at Sephora.

1 comment:

  1. I love this palette probably more than the UD Naked palette. I feel it is more travel friendly and I love <3. It is a beautiful soft pink that I could wear everyday and not get sick of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! Please check back (or subscribe!) for replies!